Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cajun Seasoning


I really can’t leave anything alone, even something as convenient as a spice blend. I find commercially prepared Cajun spice too salty, so I make my own. This version is mildly spicy; increase the cayenne and add black pepper for more heat. Connoisseurs will note that this blend is not classic Cajun, due to the absence of thyme and oregano…but you may have noticed I am not actually Cajun. So there.

This recipe yields approximately 3 tablespoons of seasoning. It works well with fish, chicken, and pork.

1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp ground cayenne (or red pepper flakes)
¼ tsp celery seed
¼ tsp salt

Mix together all ingredients and store in an airtight container away from direct light and heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak!